Sunday, February 27, 2011

A kid's book?

Don't get me wrong, I loved The Wednesday Wars.  I'm just wondering if a middle schooler would also love this book.  A twelve-year-old would miss most of the 1960s references and most likely, would miss the Shakespeare references unless he/she had previous exposure.  Is the story of a struggling kid enough to compel someone young through the story?  Just wondering what you think. 

-Jaclyn

ps. I am a huge fan of Mrs. Baker. 
pps. I loathe Mr. Hoodhood. 
ppps. I double heart you.
pppps. This is what my notes to my friends in seventh grade looked like...why didn't I include the contents of the post-scripts in the body of the letter?!

1 comment:

  1. Loved your post-scripts. I have been really pondering your question on whether a middle schooler would love this book or not. I am thinking maybe there ARE some who might, but they would have to be someone who felt like they could relate in some personal way to Holling. I don't think I was a thoughtful enough middle-schooler (or high-schooler for that matter) to appreciate a book like this. Heck, I didn't appreciate hardly any books back then...boy am I glad I am a changed woman!

    ReplyDelete