Sunday, January 23, 2011

Late to the party, but...

Hey folks. I know, I know, I'm just finishing Shadow and only in the middle of 101, but I just have this to say. Is anyone else very mildly annoyed with the letter at the end? I feel like the resolution of the entire novel was just dumped in, like Zafon was unsure of how to tie up loose ends. After such astounding writing and beautiful language and intoxicating stories, I just felt kind of...dumped. I felt like someone broke up with me. Dumb parallel, but bear with me. If you've ever been dumped, have you ever felt like, "Seriously, you can't just end something with so much invested so quickly."
That is really my only complaint about an otherwise STUNNING and beautiful novel.

Best...

Megan

4 comments:

  1. You know, I did feel that mildly as I was finishing the book. I mean, I enjoyed the unique perspectives of the different characters, but it maybe was a little bit of a cop-out to finish the novel from Nuria's perspective. Until you pointed this out, I don't think I could have put my finger on what it was that was irking me...you nailed it Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First Meg - let's just establish how much I love your perspective. Second, while I often feel like letters are cheating ( so I understand where you're coming from), I felt like the author had done such a masterful job building the story that enough had already unfolded before the letter began. I felt the Priest's story was even more of a quick plot explanation than the letter...either way I agree- loved the book and your use of the word STUNNING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the priest was more of a quickie (not using that word in an inappropriate way, I promise) than the letter. And I was hesitant to say that I felt this way simple because it is SOOOO beautiful in every possible way. But, I guess I was feeling so stunned by the beauty that I felt VERY mildly brokenhearted. But it was VERY mild. And I guess letters are kind of cheating, aren't they? But, I've never written a book, and any attempt gets thrown out after about three pages, so I don't blame him too terribly even if he DID get bored. I mean, 500 pages is a lot to write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someday I know you'll get past those initial three pages and write a book that I'll proudly show off..."Yes, Megan and I were teaching friends. I always knew...."

    ReplyDelete